Sunday, June 10, 2012

Joseph Innocent

I am judgmental.  I didn't realize it but I am.  Or was.  Now, I am just humbled.  My daughter, Vicka, has been attending Alabama Driving School.  Her instructor is from India.  He works a full time job during the week, then teaches driving all day Saturday and Sunday.  He charges $50 an hour and teaches in 2 hour blocks.  I have remarked that he is living the American dream.  Today, when I paid him, he started telling me about an organization that he supports in India.  My first thought was "he is about to ask me for money".  The organization is called Sunmary Trust.  It was established in honor of his sister and brother-in-law who were killed in an automobile accident in 2004.  The trust cares for lepers, destitute women, and, need I say more, orphans.  As he handed my $100 back to me, Joseph Innocent said, "I do this so I can give back to orphans in India.  I give 80% of what I earn on the weekends to the Sunmary Trust.  I keep 20% for gas and car maintenance.  Vicka told me about what you are doing next week with orphans.  You are already doing what I am doing, so you do not need to pay me." He was not asking for money, he was giving it.   Joseph Innocent is not living the American dream.  He is living a radical life and he has inspired and encouraged me more than he will ever know.

3 comments:

  1. That is awesome! What an amazing person to cross paths with; I love when God sets up appointments like that. We will add him and his trust to our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. chills. we have so much to learn from people we often don't even really look at. love this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so easy to make assumptions. What a blessing you and he are to many more than you may ever know this side of heaven.

    ReplyDelete