Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Saying hello in Russian


There are 2 different ways to greet someone in Russian, formally or informally.  I had not been told this when we got involved with our first hosting program 5 years ago.  As a result, I greeted the Director of an orphanage with “pree-vyet”, the way one is to greet a child or close friend.  I had no idea how rude I was being!  So here’s the difference.  You have been forewarned!  When you greet a Director of an orphanage  or if you are in other formal situations, or if you don’t know someone well you say эдравстуйте (zdrast-vu-eetyeh). To family or close friends, you say Привет! (pree-vyet).  The former is much more difficult to say but if you are going to Ukraine, you have to learn to say it.  Here is a link to my favorite lesson on how to say Здравствуйте!  (zdrast-vu-eetyeh).  Gotta have fun with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment