Saturday, January 19, 2013

How are you?


Just like in America, when people greet each other in Ukraine,  they will ask “how are you?”  If you have been paying attention, you know the Russian word for “how” is  “Как”.  The “a” in Russian sounds like the short  “o” in English and the “K” sounds just like our K, so you have just read your first Russian word!  Congratulations!  The most common expression that you will hear for “how are you?” is the informal “Как дела??”  (kak de-lah?)  In a formal situation, you would ask “Как у Вас дела?” (kak oo vas de-lah), which frankly I have never used; for if I am in a formal situation, I have a translator, and don’t have to  try to remember all the Russian formalities.   Below, there’s a link for you to listen to these expressions as well as to jump ahead and  see how Ukrainians handle the standard “fine, how are you?” response.  But first I will tell you a story about my first formal encounter in Ukraine.

The very first time I went to Ukraine, I was visiting my son’s orphanage and was summoned to the Director’s office.  Our translator had taken the other team members, except for me and my daughter,  to lunch.  Alexandra and I were not about to waste a second of our time in Ukraine eating, when we could be visiting the orphanage.  Anyway, I had practiced and practiced,  “Здравствуйте!”, (zdras-tvooy-tyeh) the formal “hello” but  after that, I  was clueless.  This particular Director was a very formal and respected woman whose respect I was hoping to earn, so this was not the ideal situation to say the least.  So Alexandra and I go into  her office, give our best “Здравствуйте!”, and sit down.  Somehow we managed to say yes to the offer of tea, which also came with  lots of candy; and we managed to explain that our translator was at lunch.  Other than that, we politely sat and nodded our heads “yes” for about half an hour until our translator came running in.  There is no telling what we agreed to!  Five years later, I had another Director visiting in my home and knew enough Russian that we were able to sit for hours and chat about all manner of things.  So be encouraged!  Whether you know a lot or a little Russian, smiles, nods, good manners, respect and a good faith attempt at learning the language will go a long way!   Happy learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment